- This event has passed.
Society Film Screenings
One event on March 22, 2019 at 7:00 pm
One event on April 26, 2019 at 7:00 pm
The 2018-2019 Ritz Cinema Society series of independent film screenings continues this February!
See below for screening schedule & film descriptions.
All showtimes 7:00 p.m.
Feb. 15 | The Blood is at the Doorstep
– After an unarmed man diagnosed with schizophrenia is shot and killed by police in Milwaukee, his family embarks on a quest for answers, justice, and reform as the investigation into Dontre Hamilton’s death unfolds.
– Q&A with Dontre’s mother, Maria Hamilton, and brother, Nathaniel Hamilton.
Mar. 22 | Parallel Love: The Story of a Band Called Luxury
– A band from small-town Georgia suffers a devastating touring wreck with long-term consequences. Using interviews and archival footage, “Parallel Love” tells the gripping and poignant story of a band called Luxury.
– Q&A with filmmaker Matt Hinton.
Apr. 26 | The Pushouts
– Victor Rios is a high school dropout, a gang member, and a three-time felon by the age of 15. When a teacher’s quiet persistence, a mentor’s moral conviction, and his best friend’s murder converge, Rios’s path takes an unlikely turn. Two decades later, Rios is a tenured UC professor and author whose work addresses the school to prison pipeline. Woven with archival material spanning 25 years, “The Pushouts” examines crucial questions of race, class, power, and the American dream.
– Q&A with filmmaker Katie Galloway and Dawn Valdez.
The Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers is a program of South Arts. This screening is supported in part by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Alabama State Council on the Arts.